From: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> On Behalf Of Ole Troan
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:16 PM
To: Prashant Upadhyaya <praupadhy...@gmail.com>
Cc: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Regarding IP Fragmentation

Prashant,

> Imagine a usecase where I am getting IP packets on my graph node.
> I encapsulate them into an outer IP and send them out.
> So let's say in my example, I get IP1 and IP2. IP1 is max mtu size and
> IP2 is a shorter one. Perhaps they themselves are part of a fragmented
> flow.
> I now encapsulate IP1 with an outer IP for tunneling. This topples the
> mtu size and I send it out ip4-lookup, and in my for loop I operate on
> IP2 also and encapsulate it in outer IP and send it again to
> ip4-lookup. This triggers my usecase that I described earlier. You can
> imagine that effectively I have managed to reorder the original IP
> flow (now the inner IP packet) towards the final receiver which is
> never good for eg. end to end TCP flows.

Indeed. Which is why MTU in overlay networks should be well managed, to avoid
fragmentation.
And TCP MSS set “correctly”.

Could we do something in VPP to avoid reordering fragment?
Very likely. Is it worth it given that this should largely be a
misconfiguration. Dunno.
That said, any patch is welcome. ;-)

Cheers,
Ole