Folks,

I know there has been quite some interest in running sshd with the host stack,
so here’s a quick update on where that stands.

Dave and I have been working on supporting applications that fork children with
vcl and, to actually test the code, we’ve decided to run sshd on top of it.
Because we already had the ldp library, we opted to make our lives easier and
use it instead of modifying sshd. That doesn’t mean ldp has been optimized or
that it will work with any other app. It does however mean that, to some
extent, vcl can now work with apps that don’t do anything more “fancy” than
what sshd does.

If you want to test this, see [1], but “here be dragons”! I’ve done most of the
testing with a locally compiled sshd, with and without gdb, on an ubuntu
18.04.1. It also works with the package provided sshd, but I’ve noticed that it
behaves slightly differently. Therefore, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if
didn’t work on other systems.

Florin

[1] https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/HostStack/LDP/sshd