I would agree that the error seems to indicate that the build-host has
insufficient /tmp space.

There is no doubt, that the build system, like the test system,  could use
some love.
What is your feeling on moving the CI logic out of the makefile?

Do you care about the error, or do you care about the time you had to wait
to get the feedback?  For me, it's usually the latter.