Hello All,

I have a use case with VPP as below.

  1.  Need to send customized packets (similar to some L3 control packets. ARP,
ICMP, etc) from ‘my-node’ to loopback.
  2.  The loopback interface is attached to a bridge-domain. So, the customized
packets need to be either flooded in the bridge-domain or

sent on a particular interface based on the destination-MAC in the packet.

From the code-walk, I see that loopback-interface has a set of nodes i.e.
‘output-node’ and ‘tx-node’ created as part of interface creation.
And I also see that the loopback-interface tx-node is added next to its
output-node. And the output-node is added to ‘interface-output’ feature-arc.

I looked at the https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/Feature_Arcs and also lot of code
that does VPP_FEATURE_ARC_INIT & VPP_FEATURE_INIT, to get a clear understanding
on how my customized packet would traverse the VPP’s node graph. But somehow I
am missing the full packet traversal after the loopback-interface’s output-node.

Could someone share details on how the feature-arcs and ‘features that use the
feature-arcs’ work?
And to be specific how the ‘interface-output’ feature-arc works in order to
send the packet out from loopback-interface output-node to the corresponding
NIC?
And why is that ‘tx-node’ needed/used?

Too many questions, but any help understanding the flow would really help.

Thanks,
Leela sankar