Hi Everyone,

I have been running performance tests and have some questions on the
observations made in that process, especially with the role of vpp_main thread.

  1.  Noticed good performance when running vpp_main and vpp_worker_0 (polling
on two 10G ports) on the same physical core (different logical cores). When
vpp_worker_0 was moved to a different physical core altogether, started
observing rx_queue tail drops. What is the relation of having vpp_main and
vpp_worker_0 on the same physical core ? Why would moving a worker (which is
processing the frames) to different core cause rx_queue tail drops ?

  1.  The device has two 10G and two 1G ports. Having 1G ports rx-queue polled
by a different worker, vpp_worker_1 and keeping vpp_worker_0 polling on 10G
ports gives good performance. When 1G ports are moved such that its rx queue’s
is polled by vpp_main, there  are rx_queue tail drops.

I am looking to understand the relation between vpp_main and the workers ? Does
vpp_main or any request from vpp_main thread stall the worker threads ?

Thanks,
Vijay