Hi,

Our requirement was to redirect the telnet packets to host OS from VPP so
that the kernel stack can reply to the telnet packet. And found that tuntap
interface in VPP is perfect for this.

I was able create tuntap interface using:

vpp# tap connect newtap
tapcli-0
vpp# show in
inacl      interface
vpp# show interface
              Name               Idx    State  MTU (L3/IP4/IP6/MPLS)
Counter          Count
local0                            0     down          0/0/0/0
memif0/0                          1      up          9000/0/0/0     rx
packets                   161
                                                                    rx
bytes                    9096
                                                                    tx
packets                   499
                                                                    tx
bytes                   31437
                                                                    drops
                     945

tx-error                     785
tapcli-0                          2     down         9000/0/0/0     drops
                       8

which created the following in host:

newtap: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::cc6c:feff:feed:ff11  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether ce:6c:fe:ed:ff:11  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 7  bytes 586 (586.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Can anyone please help me with the following questions:

1. How will we assign an IP to this host interface (newtap). Is there a way
to do this from VPP (set int ip addr tapcli-0 192.168.3.1/24  --> assigns
IP only to VPP interface.)

2. How will host OS reply to the packets? Routing entries are known only to
VPP. is there a way to export these to host OS networking stack from VPP?

Thanks
Vyshakh