Hi Carl,

I think both options are viable. Perhaps 1) is preferable when IKE is a
responder and 2) when an initiator.

1) doesn't exist, but there are many other cases where VPP sends notifcation
events to the agent when it has discovred something - search for APIs named
want_*
For 2) it's important, IMO, for the entities managing the tunnel to have
separate roles. I'd suggest that the agent/API/CLI manages the existence of the
tunnel and IKE manages its state. That way the agent can add the tunnel and
routes through it, but leave it admin down so clear text packets won't pass.
Then when IKE negotiation completes IKE can bring it admin up. The agent is
then responsible for disabling IKE first and this makes IKE set the tunnel
state to admin down, and then the agent can delete the tunnel.
I'd say this IKE behaviour should be controlled by a config knob, rather than
assumed based on the pre-existence of a tunnel IKE would otherwise create. But
i've no strong preference.

regards
neale

On 26/11/2019 21:10, "vpp-dev@lists.fd.io on behalf of Carl Smith"