Hello VPP experts,

I would like to ask about the status of the Active-Passive NAT HA (high
availability) code in src/plugins/nat/nat_ha.c and nat_ha.h. In the git
history it looks like it was added by Matus Fabian in February 2019,
with few changes since then.

Having looked at it and tested it I think it is partly working, it can
indeed sync sessions from the active to the passive vpp server, but the
"resync" functionality needed to (re-)send all session data to a new
passive vpp server is as far as I can tell not fully implemented. In
particular, the function nat_ha_resync declared in nat_ha.h is not
implemented in nat_ha.c which makes vpp crash when trying to use the
"nat ha resync" command in vppctl.

The "resync" functionality would be really good to have since that
would allow us to restore the primary server in a situation when the
secondary has taken over, if resync is supported then the secondary can
send the session data back again once the primary has been
fixed/upgraded and then the original setup with the redundancy can be
recovered, all without breaking existing user sessions.

Is anyone working on that part of the code now, or using it, or have
some idea about its status?

Any advice in case I were to try implementing the missing pieces
myself?

Best regards,
Elias