04/12/2019 16:29, Jerome Tollet (jtollet):
> Hi Thomas,
> I strongly disagree with your conclusions from this discussion:
>
> 1) Yes, VPP made the choice of not being DPDK dependent BUT certainly not at
> the cost of performance. (It's actually the opposite ie AVF driver)

I mean performance cost when using DPDK from VPP.
Of course there is no cost when using native VPP driver.

> 2) VPP is NOT exclusively CPU centric. I gave you the example of crypto
> offload based on Intel QAT cards (lookaside). There are other examples
> (lookaside and inline)

Yes there is QAT lookaside and can be others.
But you pay the cost of buffer conversion each time you use a DPDK driver.

> 3) Plugins are free to use any sort of offload (and they do).

I understand from Ole Troan that the focus is more on generic features,
so you avoid hardware limitations.