Hi Dom,

I suspect your client/server are really bursty in sending/receiving and your
fifos are relatively small. So probably the delay in issuing the cli in the two
vms is enough for the receiver to drain its rx fifo. Also, whenever the rx fifo
on the receiver fills, the sender will most probably stop sending for ~200ms
(the persist timeout after a zero window).

The vcl.conf parameters are only used by vcl applications. The builtin echo
apps do not use vcl, instead they use the native C app-interface api. Both the
server and client echo apps take the fifo size as a parameter (something like
fifo-size 4096 for 4MB fifos).