Hi Siddarth,

> The issue here is that huge core files are generated, which take up a lot
> of space and the system down time is huge too.
> Even if I compress it, I will have to de-compress wherever I try to debug
> it and the disk space requirement will be huge.

I know this will not fix your issue, however that might help:
 - when the core file is generated, if the VA is not in use it should not take
space on the disk because it should be stored as a sparse file. Here is an
example I have locally (note the 117M allocated on disk vs the 2.6G "virtual"
size):
bganne@ubuntu1804:~$ ls -lsh core
117M -rw-rw-r-- 1 bganne bganne 2.6G Nov 12 15:34 core
Also, if you do not compress it at generation time (via
/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern or similar) it should not impact the downtime as
it is simply not written nor processed
 - if you compress/decompress it with gzip, it will not produce a sparse file
but you can 're-sparse' it using eg. dd:
bganne@ubuntu1804:~$ zcat core.gz | dd conv=sparse of=core

Ben