Hi,

In our UPF plugin [1], I need to terminate a TCP connection with a
non-local destination IP *and* pass metadata from the plugin into the
session.

I have solve this for the moment with some very ugly hacks. Florin Coras
has rightly criticise those hacks in earlier version of the plugin, but I
have not found a clean solution, yet.

The UPF plugin is basically a per session mini router instance (that wasn't
my idea, that is the way the specifications are written). It detects a TCP
connection that it needs to handle with rules that are unique for a given
session and then has to apply rules that are also unique per session to
that TCP connection. For the moment only HTTP with redirect rules are
handled (your normal captive portal use case).

What I need to do is:
  a) detect the UPF session and the TCP connection in a packet forwarding
graph node and create a TCP session from it. The destination IP will not be
local, so the normal local input does not work.
  b) pass metadata (the matched session and rule) into the TCP connection.

a) is somewhat doable, but passing metadata from the detection node into
the session proves challenging (without reimplementing all of the TCP input
node). There are no fields (except for IP headers) that are passed from the
vnet buffer into the TCP connection.

Any hints or ideas?

Regards,
Andreas

[1]: https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/15798

--

Andreas Schultz

--

Principal Engineer

t: +49 391 819099-224

------------------------------- enabling your networks
-----------------------------

Travelping GmbH
Roentgenstraße 13
39108 Magdeburg
Germany

t: +49 391 819099-0
f: +49 391 819099-299

e: i...@travelping.com
w: https://www.travelping.com/
Company registration: Amtsgericht Stendal
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann
Reg. No.: HRB 10578
VAT ID: DE236673780