> On Mar 25, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Dave Barach via Lists.Fd.Io
> <dbarach=cisco....@lists.fd.io> wrote:
>
> Vlib_main_t *vm->main_loop_count.
>
> One trip around the main loop accounts for all per-worker local graph edges /
> acyclic graph behaviors.
>
> As to the magic number E (not to be confused with e): repeatedly handing off
> packets from thread to thread seems like a bad implementation strategy. The
> packet tracer will tell you how many handoffs are involved in a certain path,
> as will a bit of code inspection.

No, it would not be a good implementation strategy. :)

However, I was looking at trying to code this in an upstreamable way, and I
didn't think I got to make assumptions about how others might wire things
together. I suppose we could just define a maximum number of handoffs and then
if users violated that number they would need to increase it?

> Neale has some experience with this scenario, maybe he can share some
> thoughts...

Hoping so. :)

I noticed that crypto engine handoffs were added to the non-dpdk ipsec
encrypt/decrypt in master, which seems somewhat relevant.

Thanks,
Chris.