> On May 7, 2020, at 8:15 AM, Neale Ranns (nranns) <nra...@cisco.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> They were replaced by ipip interfaces protected by SAs:
>   https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/IPSec#Tunnel_Mode
>
> the tunnel always adds encap. You can configure your SA to add additional
> encap if you want.

Ok, but that's not a replacement for the old functionality, right? The old
functionality had the SA tunnel represented as an unnumbered interface that
could be routed onto efficiently using the FIB. The unnumbered interface used
the SA tunnel endpoint addresses.

The wiki shows the that SA tunnel mode is re-encapsulating the already
encapsulated IP-IP tunnel traffic. So now I have 3 IP headers instead of the 2
IP headers as before?

Putting aside the wasted IP header bandwidth for the moment though, I don't
understand what's actually supposed to be happening here. What does the
configuration look like? I have an SA with endpoints (Local-IP,Remote-IP) and I
have user traffic with (User-SIP,User-DIP). Previously I had an unnumbered
interface that used the SAs (Local-IP,Remote-IP) for it's IP header. I then
routed traffic for (User-DIP) over that unnumbered interface. How does one
configure that with this ipip tunnel replacement?

I did read through the Wiki and it seems that this change was motivated by
wanting to cleanup the IPsec API, but that hardly seems like justification to
eliminate the efficient use of an entire variant of commonly used IPsec
functionality.

Could we bring back the functionality using more "acceptable to the project"
APIs or something?

Thanks,
Chris.