From: Luke, Chris <chris_l...@comcast.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:09 PM
To: Chinmaya Aggarwal <chinmaya.agar...@hsc.com>; vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
<vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [vpp-dev] VPP sequential policy command execution
giving error

CAUTION:This email originated from an external organization

You’ll get the banner if it thinks it’s an interactive session.

Roughly vppctl does this (I am paraphrasing):

is_interactive = isatty(STDIN);

…

if (is_interactive) TERM = “vppctl”;

…

open telnet session to the CLI socket; pass the terminal information

Then in VPP:

is_interactive = (strcmp(TERM, “vppctl”) != 0);

…

if (is_interactive) emit_banner();

The passing of the terminal options in the TELNET protocol is bounded by a
timer (1 second); if for whatever reason that information arrives late, VPP
will make assumptions; typically that the terminal is of the ‘dumb’ type rather
than non-interactive.

Does this correlate to what you are observing? Does the output you see make use
of ANSI color? That would be another clue, the ‘dumb’ terminal doesn’t use
color.

Chris.