Hi Andrew,

  While profiling the ACL plugin node using perf tool in ARM Neoverse platform,
Bihash related prefetches were shown as bottleneck.

Performance improvement is seen in ARM N1, TX2 and Intel Skylake servers after
removing those prefetches. Testing is done with Ingress ACL/IPv4 forwarding in
both SF and SL modes.

As the code change is common for Ingress/Egress ACL for both IPv4 and IPv6,
performance improvement is expected for those cases also.

Following are the test results for Ingress ACL / IPv4 / 1 core / 64B @ MRR in
ARM N1, TX2 and Intel Skylake servers:

Legend:

=======

N1 - ARM Neoverse

TX2 - ARM Thunder X2

SKX - Intel Skylake

SL: % imp - Performance improvement in stateless mode

SF: % imp - Performance improvement in stateful mode

SKX
N1
TX2
Num Rules
Matching Rules
SL: Avg % imp
SF: Avg % imp
SL: % imp
SF: % imp
SL: % imp
SF: % imp
1
1
0.99
12.09
8.38
10.41
4.48
4.63
50
1 (50th)
0.79
9.63
8.76
10.06
5.32
4.63
100
1 (100th)
4.34
10.75
8.60
10.06
6.98
4.63
1000
1(1000th)
4.18
13.06
8.61
11.14
6.17
5.58
100
100
3.70
11.70
6.65
14
2.82
6.53
1000
1000
1.84
15.96
5.52
27.72
4.72
8.69

Please find the patch here: https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/27167

I ran per patch regression on ARM Taishan server in CSIT lab. Following are the
results for Stateless and Stateful modes:

1.  perftest-3n-tsh acl_statelessAND1cAND64b:

     https://jenkins.fd.io/job/vpp-csit-verify-perf-master-3n-tsh/23/consoleFull

     In the log, I can see the comparative numbers between parent and current
(my patch) for 45 test cases.

     I searched for "Difference of averages relative to parent" in the log -
41/45 test cases have shown around 4% improvement with the patch. Rest of the 4
test cases stayed neutral.

2. perftest-3n-tsh acl_statefulAND1cAND64b:

    https://jenkins.fd.io/job/vpp-csit-verify-perf-master-3n-tsh/25/

    Performance improvement is seen in all 36 test cases.

Please provide your comments.

Thanks

Govind