> Yeah, i would rather not mark all api in progress since that would make
> the transition much longer.

Agreed.

> So I suggest a 1 month period during a developer that wants to downgrade
> an API, prepares a change with *just that action*, clearly marked “API
> downgrade”, type: fix, adds me as a reviewer
> and sends a mail Subject “API downgrade” to vpp-dev to get the consent
> from the users as well as Inform them.
> After 2-week timeout period, if no one complained, they can merge that
> downgrade.
> This means in 1.5 months we have it converged.
> What do you think ?

This is a good idea, but I'd merge downgrade + API modification at once instead
of waiting for 2 weeks:
 - it means ikev2 tests cannot be merged for 2 weeks, preventing more new tests
to be added alongside new fixes/features
 - at least if the API break, consumer has more chance to notice it 😊

ben