Hi Wai,

> I would like to contribute a patch for this issue if I could solve this
> issue. But I'm not familiar with the detail of the virtio/vhost protocol.
> It's appreciated if you could point out a direction for me to dig more
> deeper.

Unfortunately I can't help much.
What I'd recommend is to 1st try using the exact same DPDK version for both
testpmd and VPP. You'll also want to compile DPDK in debug mode to help with
your debug efforts. The easiest way should be to remove any vpp-ext-deps (to
recompile DPDK), and rebuild DPDK + VPP altering DPDK config to build testpmd
alongside the rest:
~# apt purge vpp-ext-deps
~# vim build/external/packages/dpdk.mk
[set DPDK_DEBUG, DPDK_TAP_PMD, RTE_LIBRTE_GRO and RTE_TEST_PMD from 'n' to 'y']
~# make rebuild

You'll find testpmd built with the exact same DPDK binaries as VPP DPDK plugin
under build-root/install-vpp_debug-native/
At least this should remove any compat issues between DPDK versions.

Hope this help,
ben