Hello,

On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 14:23 +0000, Chris Luke via lists.fd.io wrote:
> [...] I wonder if the filesystem entry is a remnant from a previous
> session that was not cleaned up.

FWIW we have had such problems earlier, maybe the issue is similar. In
our case we were mixing use of two different VPP versions that were
using different conventions for naming of those .sock files under the
/run/ directory. We got into trouble because the program that tried to
communicate with VPP was trying those in some specific order and if it
found an existing .sock file it would try to connect using that. When
there was an old .sock file it tried and failed to connect using that,
it did not realize that there was a new .sock file (with a slightly
different name or path) that it was possible to connect to. We were
able to resolve that situation by either removing the old .sock file or
by rebooting the machine which had the same effect, cleaning up old
stuff under /run/.

Best regards,
Elias