On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Matthew Smith via lists.fd.io <mgsmith=
netgate....@lists.fd.io> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I reviewed and submitted this change earlier today -
> https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/31162. After it was merged, the jenkins
> job 'vpp-merge-master-ubuntu1804-x86_64' failed because two tests failed.
> The two failed tests seem related to the change so I created a new change
> to revert the earlier one - https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/31178. The
> checkstyle job failed for the revert because the original patch removed
> some pre-existing '/* INDENT-(ON|OFF) */' so the revert adds them back in.
> It seems that checkstyle doesn't like that.
>
> My question is.... should I try to fix the checkstyle errors or just
> remove the -1 that jenkins set on the change and merge it as is? I don't
> know if doing the latter will cause checkstyle to continue complaining
> about INDENT-(ON|OFF) whenever someone submits a new change. It's somewhat
> easy to fix those errors, but then my "revert" would not be actually
> restoring the original code. Maybe that doesn't matter?
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to get the tests passing again while causing the least
> possible amount of pain and/or confusion to others. If anyone has a strong
> opinion on which option is better, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Thanks!
> -Matt

 I started to look into fixing the INDENT-(ON|OFF) that the checkstyle job
complained about with the reverted change (31178). When I ran checkstyle.sh
locally, it complained about many other formatting issues besides INDENT-ON
and INDENT-OFF. If I fixed them all, the "reverted" code would have looked
significantly different than the original code, which seems wrong. So I
just removed the jenkins -1 verify score and set it to +1 manually and
merged it.

-Matt