Hi Damian.

Why do you care?  I just looked in the flowprobe folder, for example, and
there is a flowprobe_test.c.  We have tests in the src tree.  I'm not
trying to argue for or against this, I'm trying to understand why.

We can make out of tree tests work without moving the files.  The test
runner has a custom discovery method. We just need to agree on how we want
it to behave.  What is the process used for out of tree plugins?  What has
worked for me is to create a new repository and add the repo as a git
submodule under plugins.

I'm glad Dave provided some background.  From my vantage point, Andrew said
on the list a while back that the maintainers owned the tests and shortly
thereafter, the tests started to be rearranged under their modules.

I do however want to raise the scapy licensing issue.  If I recall
correctly, there was some talk from the tsc about tagging the test folder
to indicate that the use of scapy required different licensing, so a new
plan would need to be devised.  I was doing some research on this, and the
FRR folks seem to have addressed the licensing issue around the scapy code,
by not importing it but rather by moving it to a single file that they fork
to run.  See:
https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/blob/master/tests/topotests/lib/send_bsr_packet.py

Paul