Hi Benoit,

Strongswan keeps track  for whatever is required but kernel feeds the
relevant information via events.

For *child sa*, in the kernel world, it is kernel which XFRM_EXPIRE message
via netlink. The strongswan is listening of netlink events for the same.
When it receives events from the kernel it processes expire and calls the
relevant 'charon->kernel->migrate'.

Please note i am only talking about child sa rekey where kernel send
events, for IKE SA rekey the strongswan works on timer basis.

Venu