Same RFC defines that for IPv6, square brackets should be used to distinguish
between addr and port:

 A host identified by an Internet Protocol literal address, version 6
   [RFC3513] or later, is distinguished by enclosing the IP literal
   within square brackets ("[" and "]").  This is the only place where
   square bracket characters are allowed in the URI syntax.
—
Damjan