Latency with vpp is very high for ~50% of the requests so either some config is
still off or something loses packets.

To check if the later is the case, try “show error” and check tcp counters for
out of order enqueues or “show tcp stats” and check retransmission counters.

To make sure we haven’t recently introduced some regression I just ran a
similar test locally and results are pretty good:

Running 10s test @ http://6.0.1.1/64B.json
  30 threads and 300 connections
  Thread Stats   Avg      Stdev     Max   +/- Stdev
    Latency   494.20us    5.33ms 243.45ms   99.76%
    Req/Sec    32.50k     3.47k   46.58k    80.35%
  9736456 requests in 10.10s, 2.63GB read
Requests/sec: 964250.62
Transfer/sec:    266.68MB

Note however that the two servers that run vpp and nginx on one side and wrk on
the other are Xeon(R) Gold 6146 (Skylake) and are connected by a 40Gbps nic.

Configuration should be similar to what you’re testing, i.e., vpp 1 worker,
nginx 4 workers and nginx is serving those 64B straight from memory:

location /64B.json { return 200 '{"status":"success","result”: “fill in 64B of
characters here” }’; }

Recent CSIT results[1], obtained with ab as opposed to wrk, also look pretty
good although in those tests 2 vpp workers are used.

[1]
https://s3-docs.fd.io/csit/master/report/vpp_performance_tests/hoststack_testing/vsap/index.html#t1c-cx556a-base-scale-rps