Hi Vratko,

> When I was running tests for this [0] revert,
> I saw different performance consequences than expected

Hmm but [0] looks bogus to me anyway: if I'm not wrong, this prefetches the
vlib_buffer pointer array instead of the vlib_buffer headers pointed to by the
array.
I think the correct patch should be https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/35419

> What do you think, is it possible that also for VPP,>
> some regressions are caused just by compiler changing the memory layout
> (without any "real" change in the program logic)?

This can definitely happen, I have seen this several time myself.

> If yes, should we try to apply Stabilizer to VPP?

I wouldn't go there: looks like an interesting but unmaintained research
project. Last real commits are 9yr old and they mentioned LLVM 3.1.
You're not going to compile VPP with that.
If you feel like tackling it, I'd look into techniques for reproducible builds
that could help by using same libraries and compilers versions, but in my
experience it has been mostly frustrating to try to control what the compiler
do to avoid this kind of issue.

Best
ben