From: Florin Coras <fcoras.li...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, April 8, 2022 10:00 AM
To: Kevin Yan <kevin....@mavenir.com>
Cc: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io; Alan Wang <alan.w...@mavenir.com>
Subject: [E] Re: [vpp-dev] VPP deadlock issue

Email is from a Free Mail Service (Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail….) : Beware of Phishing
Scams, Report questionable emails to s...@mavenir.com<mailto:s...@mavenir.com>
Hi Kevin,

That’s a pretty old VPP release so you should maybe try to update.

Regarding the deadlock, what is main actually doing? If it didn’t lock the
binary api's queue mutex before the barrier sync, it shouldn’t deadlock.

On Apr 7, 2022, at 6:39 PM, Kevin Yan via lists.fd.io<http://lists.fd.io>
<kevin.yan=mavenir....@lists.fd.io<mailto:kevin.yan=mavenir....@lists.fd.io>>
wrote:

Hi,
              Recently I got a VPP crash issue, one worker thread is doing
mutex lock and waiting for getting the mutex, the complete call stack is
arp_learn-> vnet_arp_set_ip4_over_ethernet-> vl_api_rpc_call_main_thread->
vl_msg_api_alloc_as_if_client-> vl_msg_api_alloc_internal-> pthread_mutex_lock
(&q->mutex);     while at the same time main thread is calling
vlib_worker_thread_barrier_sync to try to lock all worker threads, this will
lead deadlock and hence VPP crashed.

              Did anyone meet the similar issue and how to solve this race
condition? I am using vpp19.01, tried to search the commits related to this
issue for later release but no lucky, not sure if this issue got fixed in later
release .
              Appreciate if anyone can help.

BRs,
Kevin
________________________________
This e-mail message may contain confidential or proprietary information of
Mavenir Systems, Inc. or its affiliates and is intended solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, you are hereby notified that any review, use or distribution of this
information is absolutely prohibited and we request that you delete all copies
in your control and contact us by e-mailing to
secur...@mavenir.com<mailto:secur...@mavenir.com>. This message contains the
views of its author and may not necessarily reflect the views of Mavenir
Systems, Inc. or its affiliates, who employ systems to monitor email messages,
but make no representation that such messages are authorized, secure,
uncompromised, or free from computer viruses, malware, or other defects. Thank
You

in your control and contact us by e-mailing to secur...@mavenir.com. This