Hello,

I am on 21.01 version and looking to understand the memory allocation around
API tracing. I’ve got both Rx and Tx API trace enabled. The heap memory is
continuously going up which, I guess, is expected. “nitems” is configured to
1024 which is the default.  I do see that the trace wraps around but the
heap-memory still keeps growing and eventually process crashes as the memory
runs out. Was expecting the memory to be reused after the trace limit of 1024
items has reached.

root@cnfp:/# cnfp-dbg vpp show api trace-status
RX Trace enabled
RX trace: used 1024 of 1024 items, is enabled, has wrapped
TX Trace enabled
TX trace: used 1024 of 1024 items, is enabled, has wrapped

Seeing this behavior as part of calling vl_msg_api_trace() nested in the below
macro:

  REPLY_MACRO3(VL_API_CLI_INBAND_REPLY, vec_len (out_vec),
  ({
    vl_api_vec_to_api_string(out_vec, &rmp->reply);
  }));

Thanks,
Vijay