It is related to memoryBacking, missing hugepages, or missing shared option.
What does your qemu launch command look like?

Steven

From: <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> on behalf of Chinmaya Aggarwal
<chinmaya.agar...@hsc.com>
Date: Thursday, July 14, 2022 at 3:31 AM
To: "vpp-dev@lists.fd.io" <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Subject: [vpp-dev] Memory region shows empty for vhost interface

Hi,
We are running VPP v22.02. We found a link stating how to connect a VM to VPP
(running on base machine).

https://fd.io/docs/vpp/v2101/usecases/vhost/index.html

As per the link, on VPP, we created a vhost interface:-

vpp# create vhost socket /tmp/vm00.sock
VirtualEthernet0/0/0

Also, we have virsh dump xml file where we added an interface tags of type
"vhostuser" and passed the socket file path in "path" field.
<interface type='vhostuser'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:5c:57:d2'/>
      <source type='unix' path='/tmp//vm00.sock' mode='server'/>
      <driver rx_queue_size='1024' tx_queue_size='1024'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x07' slot='0x00'
function='0x0'/>
</interface>

Using this XML, we were able to spawn a VM having interface enp7s0
corresponding to above tag. VPP can also detect the VM creation as we see below
output for "show vhost-user" command: -

vpp# show vhost-user
Virtio vhost-user interfaces
Global:
  coalesce frames 32 time 1e-3
  Number of rx virtqueues in interrupt mode: 0
  Number of GSO interfaces: 0
  Thread 0: Polling queue count 2
Interface: VirtualEthernet0/0/0 (ifindex 1)
  Number of qids 2
virtio_net_hdr_sz 12
 features mask (0xfffffffbdfffa27c):
 features (0x150208000):
   VIRTIO_NET_F_MRG_RXBUF (15)
   VIRTIO_NET_F_GUEST_ANNOUNCE (21)
   VIRTIO_RING_F_INDIRECT_DESC (28)
   VHOST_USER_F_PROTOCOL_FEATURES (30)
   VIRTIO_F_VERSION_1 (32)
  protocol features (0x3)
   VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_MQ (0)
   VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_LOG_SHMFD (1)

 socket filename /tmp/vm00.sock type client errno "Success"

 rx placement:
   thread 0 on vring 1, polling
 tx placement

 Memory regions (total 0)

But memory regions is still empty. As per the link memory regions should not be
empty as soon as VM is up.
Are we missing anything here as part of the configuration?

Thanks and Regards,
Chinmaya Agarwal.