Update few days before RC2.

> 1. QAT no traffic after DPDK bump [0].
>    I have put my findings so far into a quick ticket [1].

As mentioned in the ticket, I have a fix [12].
Other contributions related to dpdk/cryptodev do not seem to address any issue
visible in CSIT, so I will test them later.

> 2. Before that, OpenSSL bump [2] had introduced an IPsec HW regression on 
> 3n-srf.

No clear fix, to be addressed in the next release cycle.

> 3. New packed/natural buffer layout [4], on Xeon with huge pages it causes a 
> regression.

I decided to change CSIT code [13] to explicitly set the “natural” layout,
as that does not seem to have any negative effect (26.06 ignores unknown 
startup.conf options).

> 4. Octeon driver got some merges, but now VPP usually [7] does not start [8] 
> in CSIT.

As mentioned in e-mails below, the first issue has been fixed.
As not mentioned yet, two more issues happened since then.
The symbol visibility verification seems to depend on VPP platform,
and octeon was apparently not tested. Here [14] is a minimal fix.
Maintainers of similarly “enabled in verify jobs” plugins/drivers
should check their symbol requirements.

There seem to also be a cabling issue on 3n-oct testbed, not related to VPP.
I am still working on two more CSIT issues, I will write an e-mail
if they need some support on VPP side, or if they will affect release results.

Assuming [12] and [14] will get merged to master and cherry-picked to 
stable/2610 before RC2,
(and barring my possible future e-mails) I say VPP is ready (enough) for RC2 
from CSIT point of view.

Vratko.

[12] 46976: build: tell dpdk where ipsec-mb is | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46976
[13] 46985: feat(config): Apply natural layout on all testbeds | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/csit/+/46985
[14] 46998: vnet: export vnet TM symbols for octeon driver | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46998

From: Vratko Polák -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECH SRO at Cisco)
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September, 2026 10:26
To: [email protected]
Cc: csit-dev <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: [vpp-dev] notable issues before 2610-rc1

Thanks.
Already merged, and initial testing suggests VPP startup is now stable in CSIT.
Vratko.

From: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> On Behalf Of Monendra Singh 
Kushwaha via lists.fd.io
Sent: Wednesday, 23 September, 2026 08:40
To: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Cc: csit-dev <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] notable issues before 2610-rc1

Hi Vratko,

>> 4. Octeon driver got some merges, but now VPP usually [7] does not start [8] 
>> in CSIT.

I have  raised following patch to gerrit to fix octeon driver issue
  https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46835

Thanks,
Monendra

From: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]> 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> on behalf of Vratko Polak -X 
(vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 at 8:10 PM
To: vpp-dev <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Cc: csit-dev <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [vpp-dev] notable issues before 2610-rc1
Prioritize security for external emails:
Confirm sender and content safety before clicking links or opening attachments
Report 
Suspicious<https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/CRVmXkqW!ui3X-h-YrjX626H8GR36br_ETt5Z-w3Nynf1T7ucBvrwQKSMCS8KR59Alu8ndsK6pgR3nshGrejiI7cKCF4RqAATdyFpR6BiB3_s15DzYtIBwfRrDvbM5xbAIusOpGjVVa4rjyjddXYc$>

I plan to discuss those on VPP semimonthly meeting in few minutes,
this is both my agenda and a summary for people not joining that meeting.

RC1 is this week and some issues are quite bad and may warrant some reverts,
but as bugfixes are allowed until RC2 we have still few weeks time.

1. QAT no traffic after DPDK bump [0].
My bad, I got distracted by transient issues and forgot to re-run larger test 
selection.
I am still actively investigating, I have put my findings so far into a quick 
ticket [1].
Kai was on CSIT meeting and he mentioned some compile flag for symmetric 
ciphers,
but currently plugins/dpdk/cryptodev/ registers zero handlers, which cannot be 
correct.

2. Before that, OpenSSL bump [2] had introduced an IPsec HW regression on 
3n-srf.
Both issues are visible in trending [3].

3. New packed/natural buffer layout [4], on Xeon with huge pages it causes a 
regression.
I opened a ticket [5] in favor of keeping old behavior (all natural) as default 
[6],
but if most of users like the new default I can adapt CSIT to set “natural”
in startup.conf explicitly instead.

4. Octeon driver got some merges, but now VPP usually [7] does not start [8] in 
CSIT.
I am not sure if it is an infra issue or VPP source issue.
I will try to investigate before RC2.

Vratko.

[0] 46433: dpdk: bump to DPDK 26.07 and rdma-core 64.0 | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46433<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/*/46433__;Kw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsIWLRbMQ$>
[1] No cryprodev handler registers since DPDK bump to 26.07 | 
https://github.com/FDio/vpp/issues/3740<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/github.com/FDio/vpp/issues/3740__;!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7Us2qdmvQ4$>
[2] 46462: build: update to openssl 4.0.1 in optional deps | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46462<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/*/46462__;Kw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsF9KYTFc$>
[3] 
https://csit.fd.io/trending/#eNrtVctOwzAQ_JpwQRvZSUzKoYeW_Ady7W1jESfGa6jC15PHwcmhEiDxUMXFjx2vZ7yjlSl0Hh8Jm20i9km5T7LS6GFI8t3tML06B3kLaD1wxk6YOY4bztQzaKefQPnehQ644JsDcAUYauMK4whVEdqmPkvqWwVD7CAJwbQBJFIm7k7KgvV-JMoeRiL9ElasEXF1H5HLWmKC9ChjxiwxogFpwfQZwfGOo5cWybxhvGgqQTyhhqouQLXmD71boKs61F2UJ0Y3OEtzlgqeFiyeisFsDIoqKasJ-lEDnf43cHqg_n4DyR__TAde0HL9HXj_i159sdmuzquPNtvCK1HdtJ230w83rKnuzhC8kQ1t56x5Mye8A2ma-UA<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/csit.fd.io/trending/*eNrtVctOwzAQ_JpwQRvZSUzKoYeW_Ady7W1jESfGa6jC15PHwcmhEiDxUMXFjx2vZ7yjlSl0Hh8Jm20i9km5T7LS6GFI8t3tML06B3kLaD1wxk6YOY4bztQzaKefQPnehQ644JsDcAUYauMK4whVEdqmPkvqWwVD7CAJwbQBJFIm7k7KgvV-JMoeRiL9ElasEXF1H5HLWmKC9ChjxiwxogFpwfQZwfGOo5cWybxhvGgqQTyhhqouQLXmD71boKs61F2UJ0Y3OEtzlgqeFiyeisFsDIoqKasJ-lEDnf43cHqg_n4DyR__TAde0HL9HXj_i159sdmuzquPNtvCK1HdtJ230w83rKnuzhC8kQ1t56x5Mye8A2ma-UA__;Iw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsCxcjlmE$>
[4] 46182: buffers: fix pool allocation on small pages | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46182<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/*/46182__;Kw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsoKCGZx0$>
[5] Packed buffer layout as new default has worse performance with huge pages 
in CSIT | 
https://github.com/FDio/vpp/issues/3739<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/github.com/FDio/vpp/issues/3739__;!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7Us8uQD25U$>
[6] 46703: buffers: make natural layout always default | 
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/46703<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/*/46703__;Kw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsnGyDdgQ$>
[7] 
https://csit.fd.io/stats/#eNrLyk-yTS7OLNEtKyjQLUgtStPNLSrSTUnMzKnUzU0sLkkt0jXO081PLgEARDUPQQ<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/csit.fd.io/stats/*eNrLyk-yTS7OLNEtKyjQLUgtStPNLSrSTUnMzKnUzU0sLkkt0jXO081PLgEARDUPQQ__;Iw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7UsEU9i6NU$>
[8] 
https://logs.fd.io/vex-yul-rot-jenkins-1/csit-vpp-perf-mrr-daily-master-3n-oct/35663534320/log.html.gz#s1-s1-s1-k1-k6<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/logs.fd.io/vex-yul-rot-jenkins-1/csit-vpp-perf-mrr-daily-master-3n-oct/35663534320/log.html.gz*s1-s1-s1-k1-k6__;Iw!!CRVmXkqW!Sa68gFLj0uEVLRxcLtd64r8zwi5TRYhLMw5cSzl0J2OHwRsN9c-Ty1GR8c56AJfBziCLAC_DR37ZJypNRuunz7Us4ZMGGvM$>


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#27244): https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/message/27244
Mute This Topic: https://lists.fd.io/mt/121375868/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/leave/14379924/21656/631435203/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
    • ... Monendra Singh Kushwaha via lists.fd.io
      • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
        • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
          • ... Dave Wallace via lists.fd.io

Reply via email to