Plots drive action.  So can an environment.  One way to
make Richard's approach work is to ensure the environment
interacts as well.  Rain drives people into doorways where
interesting encounters happen.    Guns drive people across
borders where interesting encounters happen.   To have
interactive fiction, we have to give a little;  what we may
give up is predicting the amount of time the game runs,
how many moves are possible, which moves always lead
to the same conclusions, etc.   IOW, more like chess and
less like checkers, but still a game.  Games only drive one
down a corridor.  What drives a reader through a plot if
you mix up the pages?

Actors are actors.  They are limited by their improvisations
and the power of their instruments to attract or repel attention.
The longer I think about it, the more I believe that true
non-linear fiction is a hoax.  It quits being fiction and turns
into life.  Is life entertaining?  If you break it up into
episodes, maybe.   Try this:  (not being salacious but
using an example we all know)  How long is sex entertaining
and when does it turn into work?

Len