Herbert, still having a problem (after this patch) with /dev/initctl :(
kernel 2.4.22-vs1.1.3 util-vserver-0.24

Vi, pico, nano, whatever your /tmp/gentoo.patch to use my script (including
auto-backup)
Add this to /tmp/gentoo.patch to make it happen...

471a472,473
>               elif [ -x $VROOTDIR/$1/usr/bin/emerge ] ; then
>                       STARTCMD="/sbin/rc default"
584a587,588
>               elif [ -x $VROOTDIR/$1/usr/bin/emerge ] ; then
>                       STOPCMD="/sbin/rc shutdown"

#!/bin/bash
# output the patch contents
cd /tmp
# that variable thing...
VSLOC=`whereis vserver | cut -d " " -f 2`
# backup the bitch
cp $VSLOC $VSLOC.unpatched
# patch the bitch
patch -p0 $VSLOC < /tmp/gentoo.patch
cd -
#end of script

Hopefully this fixes the "Gentoo problem" in util-vserver :-p could this
possibly be added to util-vserver for Gentoo compatibility? Or perhaps bring
back the S_START and S_STOP config variables?

This has been tested working by me personally...

Just an fyi, if you're running Gentoo, it'd be a good idea to add
"/sbin/depscan.sh && sleep 2" to the 3 or 4th line of /sbin/rc to make sure
that your /var/lib/init.d tree gets regenerated automatically at boot.

Allen "Chip" Parker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hosting in all shapes and sizes.