Hi,

I know that you mentioned bind specifically... But we also looked at
PowerDNS, and while we liked the functionality... We were really
concerned with how well a DNS that serves directly from a database
(MySQL) would scale and maintain the level of uptime we desired. (Not to
take anything away from PowerDNS, I hear it is a good dns server.)

in my experience, it's very stable. I've been running it with about 400 Domains as both primary and secondary DNS. Today I actually restarted the primary DNS for the first time in more than 4 months, and that was due to a configuration change to the vserver. I do admit, though, that the MySQL it's using is highly performance optimized and has about 1GB of memory to play with at all times, so I don't know what it would be like with a small MySQL installation...

Holger

--
Crossroad Networks Holger Rabbach
Internet solutions and services