On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 16:55, Alex Lyashkov wrote:
> В Срд, 28.04.2004, в 19:45, Liam Helmer пишет:
> > This question came up on the list a week or two ago, and the answer was
> > that IPtables rules were changing the source address of outgoing
> > connections. Did you check those to make sure that packets coming from
> > your vserver addresses aren't being SNAT-ed to something?
> using ip routing rules not fix all issues.
> if me have packet exchange with some address from host and try send
> packet from vps - kernel select source address from routing cache and
> not use routing tables/rules.
> If you use SNAT for change address you must add NAT local connections
> but it not light process for kernel, and I not sure it help.

I wasn't saying he should put any in: I was saying that his problem
might be that there's a rule there that's changing the address. Also,
I'm talking about iptables (i.e. netfilter), not ip routing tables.

Actually, you could fix a lot of it with ip routing tables, if you use
policy routing (from x to y route to z with source a). I was considering
playing around with this, but it's more complex. This is yet another
place where having an netfilter_ctx patch would be helpful: for marking
packets so they correspond to ip routing rules (from context q route to
z with source a).

What I'm currently doing is doing SNAT on all vserver packets: that
gives the most flexibility, with the vservers residing on a private
internal ip. It also lets me share IPs better for vservers: I can have
one vserver doing port 80, and one doing port 25 on the same ip, but I
don't have to worry about one of them accidentally turning on a service
and interfering with another one, 'cause they have different private
IPs. It's not ideal for all setups, but then I'm not doing virtual
hosting really, so I have differnet needs.

Cheers,
Liam