On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:36:24AM +0100, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi Enrico,
>
> Hans Ulrich Niedermann and me have started reviewing the debian package
> and put up some agenda we think should be clarified to ease packaging
> (not only on Debian).
>
> The TODO file with our questions can be found at
> http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/util-vserver/TODO alongside with
> preliminary alpha debs which can be used with
> "deb http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/util-vserver/ ./" in
> sources.list.. Comments and feedback are welcome.

okay, here the list, so that I can comment ...

| * A lot of programs don't have documentation. Add man pages in DocBook?
|   - chxid
|   - exec-cd
|   - lsxid
|   - setattr
|   - showattr
|   - vapt-get
|   - vattribute
|   - vcontext
|   - vdu
|   - vfiles
|   - vkill
|   - vlimit
|   - vnamespace
|   - vrpm
|   - vrsetup
|   - vsched
|   - vserver-info
|   - vshelper
|   - vuname
|
| * pkglibdir is /usr/lib/util-vserver instead of /var/lib/util-vserver
|
| * /etc/vserver/util-vserver-vars VROOTDIR doesn't affect
|       DEFAULT_VSERVERDIR='/var/lib/vservers'
|       DEFAULT_VSERVERPKGDIR='/var/lib/vservers/.pkg'
|
| * util-vserver contains a large number of utilities - binaries and
|   shell scripts. These utilities serve different purposes and belong
|   to different conceptual layers.
|
|   It appears there is or may be:
|
|     a) Stuff for basic administration.
|        Command line interfaces to the vserver syscalls and the like.

yes, they are part of the lib and core packages
(on rpm based systems)

|     b) Higher-level stuff.
|
|        I)   Used only on host           systems.
|             Like rebootmgr, vserver start and stop scripts, etc.

rebootmanager is obsoleted since a long time
(it was replaced by vshelper)

|        II)  Used only on          guest systems.
|             Is there something like this?

not that I know of ... at least not in recent systems

|        III) Used on both host and guest systems.
|             Is there something like this? lsxid? chxid?

not that I know of either ...

|    - Which are the binaries for each group and have we listed all
|      groups?

|    - How should the packaging devide up the groups most conveniently?

util-vserver-0.30.196
util-vserver-lib-0.30.196
util-vserver-sysv-0.30.196
util-vserver-core-0.30.196
util-vserver-build-0.30.196
util-vserver-legacy-0.30.196

|    - Very likely a shared lib package should be included only once if
|      there is more than one binary package.
|
| * guest systems cannot run klogd (because there is only one kernel and
|   the klogd thus is best addressed in the host system).
|   So a distribution has to ship an empty dummy package to satisfy the
|   packages which depend on klogd (Debian: linux-kernel-log-daemon).

hmm, this is a kernel issue, and maybe we can solve
that at this level (by providing a fake or empty
connection point for klogd) but IMHO it would be best
to break up the syslog package into syslogd and klogd
(which would render this point obsolete)

| * Both /usr/include/ and /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ are installed by
|   default. What is include/vserver.h installed for?!
|   Do we need a -dev package?
|
| * Is the api documentation to be split into a separate -doc package?
|
| * Repeatedly calling "rebootmgr start" starts multiple processes.
|   This is bad.

as I said, rebootmgr is obsoleted, don't use it
don't package it, just let it die in peace ...

| * Is there up-to-date documentation for /etc/vservers/NAME/* ?

included as xml file in the source of util-vserver

| * It would be very convenient if upstream could ship the graphviz
|   output with the releases, such that building for Debian doesn't
|   require graphviz.  (graphviz is marked non-free in Debian and thus
|   would force util-vserver from main into contrib).  Pre-building the
|   graphviz output in the (maintainer-mode?) dist-target should be easy
|   enough not not allow this to happen.
|
|   Is it necessary for the entire "doc" target to be rebuilt at
|   packaging time? If this could be moved to the "dist" target as well,
|   that would speed up the packaging even more.
|
| * What is recommended for packaging, running both install and
|   install-distribution (along with make all doc) or just make install?
|
| * The distclean target does also remove util-vserver.spec which is
|   shipped in the release tarball.
|   Perhaps "make distcheck" and the resulting cleanups would help.
|
| * There is a number of compile warnings. Some of them sound
|   like they should be fixed. Are they ok as can be seen at:
|   http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/util-vserver/buildlog_stderr.log

probably heavily depends on the used compiler ...

| * The current Debian package removes the following files before
|   packaging, which upstream's "make install install-distribution"
|   installs:
|
|       rm -f $(CURDIR)/debian/util-vserver/usr/lib/*.la
|       # have to remove v_ init scripts
|       rm -f $(CURDIR)/debian/util-vserver/etc/init.d/v_*
|       # remove newvserver.defaults (because that is linuxconf and that is not
|       supported in debian).
|       rm -f $(CURDIR)/debian/util-vserver/etc/vservers/newvserver.defaults
|
|       # New since SID for they are not standard for a Debian binary package
|       rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/util-vserver/usr/include/
|       rm -rf $(CURDIR)/debian/util-vserver/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
|
|   - Are they all needed/useful?
|   - Can/should more be purged from a default install to make a
|     "only-for-distribution" package?
|   - Which tasks shall be executed upon installation? Which upon uninstall?
|   - Which of /etc/init.d/v* need to be installed into the runlevels by
default?
|     Which should be left to the user to install?
|
| * Is there a script to convert existing chroots into vservers yet? If
|   not, what's the closest we can get to write one from the "newvserver
|   lower half"?

newvserver is not part of the utils IIRC, but
basically you can take a chroot as it is, add
the appropriate config, move it in place (or not)
and start any application within a context ...

> We'd appreciate if you could go through the TODO and help us with the
> open questions.

HTH,
Herbert