Sam,
That worked like a charm.  I was thinking that is was going to be more
complicated than that.

For anyone interested here are my steps

On NFS server (non vserver)
---------------------------
added vserver host/root system ip address to nfs shares
ie:
sudo vi /etc/exports
/nfs_unix_data vserverhost.corporate.net(rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash)

sudo exportfs
sudo exportfs -r (to reread your config changes)
sudo exportfs

On vserver host/root system
---------------------------
start portmap
start rpc.statd

sudo vi /usr/local/etc/vservers/unixdev1/fstab
calnfs01.corporate.net:/nfs_unix_data /unix_data nfs     hard,intr,nolock 0 0

sudo vserver unixdev1 stop
sudo vserver unixdev1 start
sudo vserver unixdev1 enter
df -h
/dev/hdv1              58G  8.0G   47G  15% /
none                   64M     0   64M   0% /tmp
calnfs01.corporate.net:/nfs_unix_data
                      100G  406M  100G   1% /unix_data

I wasn't able to find any other process that worked.  The above will work fine
for what I need.

On a minor note: Anyone know how to umount this now that it is mounted?  I am
ok with restarting the vserver if that is the only way.
ssh unixdev1
sudo umount /unix_data
umount: /unix_data: must be superuser to umount
umount: /unix_data: must be superuser to umount

thanks
sig