Sam Vilain wrote:
This patchset allows per-VFS mount options, such as noatime,
nodiratime, and in partitular, read-only.

ie, `mount -o ro --bind` can work with this patch.

This is the invention of Herbert Pƶtzl.

So, here's what's new;

1. more parts

   Even more fine grained :-)

2. longer descriptions

   Following the TPP document to the letter, and I hope my descriptive
   re-expressions of concept improve chances of acceptance and do not
   seem too long.

3. patch 8 is a new piece, though I see now from http://xrl.us/j8dk that
   this was not an accidental omission.

Still outstanding changes before next LKML submission;

1. add file_readonly() helper - Christopher Hellwig
   http://xrl.us/j8ck

2. audit uses of permission() - Trond Myklebust
   (second audit requirement now not relevant)
   http://xrl.us/j8ck

   a simple
      find . \( -name \*.h -o -name \*.c \) -print |
             xargs grep 'permission *(' |
             grep -w permission | grep NULL

   happens to catch all of these.  They happen in:

      fs/hpfs/namei.c
      fs/nfsd/vfs.c (twice)
      fs/nfsd/nfsfh.c
      fs/namei.c
      fs/xattr.c
      ipc/mqueue.c

3. split out "am I allowed to write to FS" from permission() -
   Christopher Hellwig
   http://xrl.us/j8cu

   This seems to be similar to what Trond is getting at, that nameidata
   is optional to permission, and so therefore it seems like the wrong
   place to put it.

   This might be seen to apply to all of the changes in part 7 of this
   series.

Anyway, I'm putting this one down for a few days so as not to step on your toes - I hope this helps your efforts, Herbert. If you want to download them, you can get them from:

  http://vserver.utsl.gen.nz/patches/utsl/2.6.16-rc4-BME/
  (.tar.gz one level up)

Having said that, it's very easy for me to apply small changes and regenerate the set, so let me know if you want me to help in this way.

In any case, this effort has been thoroughly enlightening for me as to how the submission process works, and I hope it will help me as I now focus my work on features in the main patch.

Sam.