eyck wrote:
You can get away with running without those:

CAP_SYS_MODULE
CAP_MKNOD

hmm, actually without those too:

CAP_NET_ADMIN
CAP_NET_RAW

(You just need to load vmmon and vmnet on the host, there needs to be vmnet
configuration on the host that matches the one that guest uses, and then
all you need is some kind of X-server on the guest to run vmware
player/server)

That means running them on the host, and my idea was to have as absolutely as little as possible on the host.

My original comments *were* the short version.  A slightly longer version, for example, is that you can get away without things like CAP_MKNOD, but only if you manually create the nodes that the script tries to do.  I started with that, but got tired of re-running it for every node it failed for.  I'm guessing I could revoke the capability now, under the assumption that, once installed, VMware won't want to alter the nodes.

I *think* I need the CAP_NET_* caps because of the way VMware wants to do networking.  I haven't exhausted the possibilities here, so you might be right.
 Both xen and esx use hypervisor, I guess they wouldn't like running one on
top of the other...

The Xen and QEMU comments were a joke.  My wife doesn't get my jokes either.  But in seriousness, I'm using the (free (beer)) VMware Server, not ESX / GSX, and this VMware Server doesn't need a hypervisor.

On that, I wonder if the vserver patches and Xen patches can co-exist.  I shudder to think of the patching.  But it might be nice to have them both in one - the flexibility of Xen (different kernels etc) and the efficiency of vservers.

Tony