----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Joel Finkel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "NIMN-National" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:27:21 -0600
Subject: [NotInMyName] The real Israeli existential crisis

Sent to the Chicago Tribune

To the Editors,

It was recently revealed that in July, Israel's cabinet secretly decided to expropriate thousands of acres of land from Palestinians in East Jerusalem.  By applying its Absentee Property Law, written in 1950, Israel claims the right to confiscate Palestinian land for exclusive Jewish use if its owners do not live on it.  Palestinians are intentionally prevented from living on most of their land by a few tiny obstacles, such as the Occupation, the Separation Wall, and military checkpoints.  Not to mention that between 1947 and 1949, 750,000 were expelled from what became Israel.

The Israeli daily, Haaretz, editorialized, "It is impossible not to deem the cabinet's decision theft, as well as an act of state stupidity of the highest order." (1/21/05)  It is also a grotesque violation on international law, including the Geneva Conventions of 1949, the U.N. Charter, and scores of U.N. Resolutions.

While this latest Israeli land-grab was to be expected, I am shocked by the absolute silence on the part of the U.S. government, the international community, and my fellow Jews, in who's name Israel often claims to be acting.  This despicable act represents the real existential crisis facing Israel: the crisis of morality.

Joel R Finkel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This list does not generally re-post news, information, or articles
from other lists and sources.  For such information consider joining
the NIMN Bulletin Board by sending a blank email to:

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We may be contacted at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can make a tax-deductible contribution to NOT IN MY NAME by
using your credit card on-line at our website, http://www.nimn.org.

WE GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT.