To Alan,  Here is my suggestion for positive action with the Vermont
Justice and Peace group which includes Jews, Muslims and Christians
from all walks of life and is a group originally formed to bring peace
and justice to the Holy Land.  It seems to have expanded into peace
with justice, while concentrating on the middle east, is always
broadening its outlook just as we are.  I think learning about the
dedicated work of this group and joining them for vigils and walks can
swell their ranks as well as ours.  I belong to both of these groups
and would like to see them expand and support each other.  Polly

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ashley Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: June 14, 2005 11:39:36 AM EDT
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], vtjp@yahoogroups.com,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [VTJP] Vermont Says No to War Conference
>
> ***Forward Widely***
>
> Vermont Says No to War
>
> A State-wide Conference for Peace and Against War and Occupation
>
> Sept. 9th through 11th
>
> Burlington, VT
>             In March of this year, dozens of cities and towns across
> Vermont passed anti-war resolutions opposing the war on Iraq. Having
> suffered one of the highest per capita rates of war casualties, the
> people of Vermont have set a bold example of opposition to the Bush
> Administration’s unjust war and occupation. To build on this anti-war
> sentiment, many organizations such as the Peace and Justice Center and
> Green Mountain Veterans for Peace have come together this spring to
> form the Anti-War Conference Committee.
>
> Together we are planning a statewide conference for September 9th
> through 11th. The conference, entitled “Vermont Says No to War,” aims
> to bring together the broadest possible network of people and
> organizations for an educational and activist event.  We aim to offer
> plenaries and workshops that will examine the international and
> domestic consequences of the war.
>
> In all these sessions, we will call attention to the interconnections
> between the war and many other issues. We want to explore how the war
> and occupation are related to corporate globalization, the destruction
> of the environment, attacks on labor, under-funding of social programs
> and institutions, and the undermining of our civil rights and civil
> liberties. We will highlight in particular how the war has fueled
> racism directed against Arabs and Muslims in the US and around the
> world.
>             This conference is meant to be an educational event and
> also a vehicle for encouraging grassroots activism. Many of the
> workshops will focus on training activists in skills such as working
> with the media and organizing civil disobedience. On Sunday, the
> Conference will host a meeting for activist organizers to discuss and
> organize anti-war actions in Vermont. It will also help mobilize
> people for the September 24th Anti-War demonstration in Washington,
> DC.
>
>             “Vermont Says No To War” thus flows from a democratic
> vision of social change. As the history of the twentieth century
> demonstrates, informed and educated mass movements have been the
> source of progressive change, from the labor movement winning Social
> Security in the 1930s to the various movements of the 1960s that won
> civil rights and ended the war in Vietnam. We aim to help our state’s
> anti-war movement develop the clearest possible understanding of the
> war and how we can end it through building a rich and varied
> grassroots movement.

> [...]

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/MknplB/TM