Title: Your Help is Needed! Make "Made in Palestine" Possible in Vermont!

Dear friends,

Once again, I'm appealing to you for financial support for one of the largest and most important endeavors VTJP has ever organized.

From October 18 through November 20, 2005, Vermonters for a Just Peace in Palestine/Israel will proudly host Made in Palestine, the first museum exhibition in the United States devoted exclusively to the contemporary art of Palestine.  It is a survey of work by artists living in the West Bank, Gaza, and parts of Israel, with a smaller number of works of Palestinian artists living in Syria, Jordan, Germany and the U.S.  This stunning and evocative exhibition follows the modern history of the Palestinian people from the al Nakba ("The Catastrophe") of 1948 to their ongoing struggle for a national homeland.  Quite simply, there is nothing like it.  It is a powerful and moving meditation, expressed through a variety of mediums, on the experience of dispossession, occupation, historical memory and the struggle for freedom and reconciliation.

The exhibit will be presented at The Wood Art Gallery in Montpelier.  Montpelier will be just the third city in the world to host the exhibit, which also ran in Houston and San Francisco.  VTJP is arranging a speakers' series on the occupation and history of Palestine to coincide with the exhibition's run in Vermont.  It will spotlight activists and artists, including Samia Halaby, one of the artists whose works are featured in the exhibit.

VTJP has secured through a foundation grant most of the funds it needs to cover the transportation costs of the exhibit. However, we still need to come with $1,500 to cover the expense of insuring the exhibit for its return to Houston.  We are appealing to you now for a contribution to help us reach our fundraising goal, to ensure that the people of Vermont and New England have an opportunity to see this exhibit.

Any amount you donate would be deeply appreciated.  For a contribution of $30.00 or more, we will send you a hard-copy edition of the book Made In Palestine, which features color-photographs of the exhibit, a narrative of its genesis, and select articles on Palestine and Palestinian artists.  You will also receive an invitation to join us for our gala opening celebration on October 20.

Donations should be made out to the Peace and Justice Center, in Burlington, Vermont So that we can properly credit your contribution to this particular project, please include in the memo line of your check: VTJP/Made in Palestine.  Donations should be mailed to:

Peace and Justice Center
21 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont 05401

Thank you in advance for whatever donation you can give.  We are grateful for your support.

Salaam/Shalom,

Mark Hage
Exhibit Coordinator/VTJP
26 Liberty Street