Thankyou for sending me the link to your comments which I agree with wholeheartedly with one strong exception , Senator.

This is no war. It was an attack.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and we chose to drive them out for our own interests. Iraq threatened Israel , which has far too many powerful and well organized 'allies' in this country (read 'armchair Israelis' and 'right wing Christians'.

At the heart of this matter is Arab discontent with being treated as third class citizens for centuries, especially in the case of the Palestinians.

I am not disputing in any way the right of the State of Israelto exist .Unfortunately the 'deal' that was struck in 1947 to create it was rammed through onto a weak country that had been dominated by the Nazis, then the British. The puppet government at the time succumbed to pressure and we are bearing the fruit of that decision, no matter how just it seems to those that support the State of Israel.

The only answer that would empower the Palestinians , and in the end the Arab world, is to force Israel to give back the lands in the West Bank that they have seized , the lands that have the only major water source under them, and , at the same time to make it clear that any attempt to harass Israel after that would incur an uncompromising and powerful response from  us.

We should then pour money, for instance the $40 billion a year that we have given to Israel (which has enabled their abuses against the Palestinians) into Palestine to help them rebuild.

The two responses would , I feel , remove any further barriers and lead to a real hope for a lessening of tensions.

Sincerely,

J.Dylan Rivis
Montpelier

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS