Daren,

In the case of VMWare ESX, it is the foundation (host) operating system
as well as the hypervisor. It's installed before any client operating
systems and applications, such as Vyatta.

In the case of VMWare Server (the free version), a host operating system
is installed first, such as Linux or MS Windows. The VMWare Server is
installed as a hypervisor application.  After that, you build the
virtual machines using the VMWare Server application and load Vyatta or
other applications above it.

In both instances, Vyatta and other virtual machines sit above the kernel.

Regards,

John Gong, Systems Engineer
Vyatta