Hello. I had the same problem installing VC1 to an Acer desktop. If I
remember well, the kernel was not able to mount the root partition
because my sata disk / controller was not recognized.

I gave up and installed VC1 to another older machine with no prb. Later
I was able to install VC2 on the Acer desktop with no prb.

I can't say if this is the same problem you have, symptoms seems the
same.

Davide