Hi,

I've lost my Vyatta router (Soekris4801, VC2.1 with community/testing
updates) after upgradiing to VC 2.2. The Soekis was configured for
communitiy/testing and all recent updating went fine. Now 'testing' was
recently promoted to 'main' I decided to go back to 'main' and get in step
with the VC2.2 release.

Procedure:

I've changed the repositry from 'testing' back to 'main' (via web interface)
and logged in as root to do the apt-get etc. (followed the latest
corrections from the list). After a while I got the question to delete a
list of 'old' packages. I answered 'yes' and found out that I ended up with
a clean /boot. That was certainly not what I wanted to achieve... Has it to
do with the fact that I had been running on 'testing' for a while and
changed back to 'main'? Should I answer 'No' when promped to delete 'old'
packages in my case?

Trying to recover from this, I downloaded the VC2.2 CD, booted my laptop
with it and connected the 12 Gb drive from the Soekris via a USB to IDE
adapter to my laptop. I was able to do a system-install to the drive. Via
USB the drive is recognized as sda. I realized that I would have to do a
manual edit to /boot/grub/menu.lst to change references to 'sd' into 'hd',
which I did. I placed the drive back in the Soekris. Unfortunately it still
does not boot into the kernel. It does load grub (I get a 'grub>' prompt)
but there it stops. Is there more to do to change from 'sd' to 'hd' than
just edit menu.lst????

Thanks for any advise!

Egbert Jan