Egbert,

If you mount the squashfs file on a loop device you can copy the
contents of that mounted directory to your root partition.  Then you
will need to run grub-install on that partition and edit the
boot/grub/menu.lst file to match your environment.

mount /live_media/casper/filesystem.squashfs /mnt/squashfs -t squashfs
-o loop
cp -pR /mnt/squashfs/* $rootfsdir/
grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=$rootfsdir /dev/$INSTALL_DRIVE

Cheers,
Robert.