I want to testify that I'm running Vyatta on VMware Server (the free
edition) and it's running without a glitch for some time now. I've bound
/bridged 2 NICs to 2 real ones and have been doing VPN and NATing.
I know my ambient is not stressful (it's not firewalling nor getting MBps of
traffic) but I'd recommend at least trying the vmware + vyatta solution.
It's, after all, free to try :)

Regards,
Leo.