Allan Leinwand wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for the comments and the detailed response - I'll definitely make sure
> your comments are read by our documentation people.
>
> Back to the topic, after reading your reply a few times I'm not sure that we
> are saying different things. I don't know what a Cisco "responder list" is,
> but after your first email on this topic I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that
> this was a marketing term for an IOS extended access-list for TCP that uses
> the "established" keyword.
>
> Using the Vyatta system, I've set up my firewall to behave as you describe -
> I only permit TCP sessions inbound on my Internet port (eth0) that origin
> from another LAN interface.  Here's a config snipet:
>
>     ethernet eth0 {
>           firewall {
>              in {
>                 name: "internet"
>              }
>
>     [...snip...]
>
>     firewall {
>         name internet {
>             rule 1 {
>                 protocol: "tcp"
>                 state {
>                     established: "enable"
>                 }
>                 action: "accept"
>                 source {
>                     network: 0.0.0.0/0
>                 }
>                 destination {
>                     network: 10.X.X.X/16
>                 }
>             }
>
> If I remove all other firewall rules from my eth0 (which is the LAN to my
> Internet provider) I can still establish TCP sessions outbound, but no
> inbound sessions are allowed. I hope this is useful.

        That is exactly what I was talking about and what I did
        in mine set-up also. And as I said to 'punch holes' through
        the firewall you now need to specified the port and use the
        state of 'new', which will allow new connections through the
        punched hole.

        As for if 'reflextive access lists' *(what I have been calling
        as 'reflector' lists) is marketing speak or not, well
        when I was setting up my Cisco-806 for here at the home I found
        the information about reflextive access lists in the O'Reilly
        book "Cisco IOS in a Nutshell" by James Boney on page 92.

<quote (without permission)>
        Reflexive access lists are an important tool added to IOS 11.3
        and its successors. They allow you to create lists that
        dynamically change based on what services your users need.
        Basically, you create an inbound and an outbound access list.
        The outbound access lists creates entries in a temporary access
        list. To put it another way, packets going out the interface
        create temporary entries to allow packets of the same session
        back in. When an outbound session ends, the temporary entries
        are destroyed, which closes the hole in the inbound access list.

        Reflexive list are similar to extended TCP access list with the
        established keyword in the you will usually use reflexive list
        to allow communications that have been initiated by your users.
        As I explained earlier, established connections rely on two bits
        (ACK and RST) being set in the incoming packet.
<highlighted by me>
        While the established keyword works, it presents two problems.
        First, someone attempting to crack your site can exploit the
        established assumption by illegitimately setting the ACK and RST
        bit in a packet that doesn't belong to an established session,
        tricking the router into thinking the packet is legitimate.
        Second, the system is always open for attacks, even if no
        outbound sessions are in progress. With reflexive list,
        however we open the entry in the inbound access list only for
        valid current sessions.
</highlighted>
</quote>

        So now the question comes down does OFR fully support the
        'reflexive' list or is it only able to support the 'extended
        TCP access list with the established keyword' as described
        above. It would be best to be able to support the 'reflexive'
        style.

        And if currently OFR does not support the reflexive style
        how long will it be before this feature can be added which
        would being OFR and IOS closer together?

                                                Tony