An-Cheng Huang wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Each firewall rule set has an "implicit" default drop rule at the end.
> As a result, for the public_port_forwarding rule set, any packets not
> matching rules 10 and 20 (i.e., non-PPTP packets) are dropped by the
> default drop rule. So the problem is probably that the returning packets
> of the SNATed outgoing connections are also dropped this way.
>
> You might want to try adding something like the following to the rule
> set to allow the returning SNATed traffic.
>
>  rule 30 {
>    protocol: "tcp"
>    state {
>      established: "enable"
>      new: "disable"
>      related: "enable"
>      invalid: "disable"
>    }
>    action: "accept"
>  }
>
> You can also add more restrictions to match the SNAT rules, for example.

Thank you An-Cheng.

The documentation is weak for the "state" keywords. I see now that these
keywords are for matching traffic. Thanks.

However, it will only permit me to set state attributes of a rule if it is TCP
only.   What happens to UDP,ICMP,GRE traffic? I will however test out your
comments above and report back.

Thanks very much, and kindest regards

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd BEng PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | CAST Ltd
Technium CAST | LL57 4HJ | http://www.techniumcast.com