I am putting together a new router using VC3 to replace a
Cisco 7507. We no longer need the advanced routing of the
7507 so I am putting together a basic / high performance
router.

I have installed VC3 to a CF card as the boot device. my
thought was that the system would install to a ram disk on
boot-up. This dos not appear to be the case. It looks like
the CF is being accesses after the load. If it were
assessed in read only mode there would be no concern but
it seems that the log files are being written to the disk.
This is an issue due to the limited number of erase/write
cycles such devices have before failure.  Flash memory
specifications generally allow 10,000 to 1,000,000 write
cycles

The configuration of the system is.

System: 1U Supermicro 5015M-MF+
Processor:      P4 Dual-Core at 1.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2
NIC:            Onboard Intel 82573L PCI-e Gigabit LAN
                Onboard Intel 82573V PCI-e Gigabit LAN
                PCI-X  Intel Pro 1000
RAM:            2GB
Disk – System:  IDE to CF adapter – DMA support
                2GB CF Speed X266
Disk – Config:  1 2GB USB Flash memory disk - Internal
                1 2GB USB Flash memory disk – external / Backup

Thanks
Mike