From: Adrian F. Dimcev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 5:19 AM
To: Todd Worden
Cc: vyatta-users@mailman.vyatta.com
Subject: RE: [Vyatta-users] Got firewal inbound, what about the outbound?

>Just for sanity's sake, can someone chime in and confirm if this appears to
be an appropriate configuration?  >Any suggestions are welcome!
Don't know if you've noticed or if this was your intention but are you
aware that your Vyatta is fully accessible from the Internet(or at least
your posted configuration shows this)?
Also again don't know if you've noticed or if this was your intention
but your firewall "out" instance on eth0 isn't a truly "Inbound" one
since your Vyatta accepts *any* incoming packets on eth1.
And can I suggest you to mess with the "State" parameter on your TCP
rules which will enable Vyatta to become indeed a firewall?
Ideally you should follow the traffic flow with your firewall rules:
Say packets coming in on eth0(so IN firewall instance), going out on
eth1(so OUT firewall instance) and returning on eth1(so IN firewall
instance) and going out on eth0(so OUT firewall instance).
The "State" parameter should be appropiate for each firewall instance.
But it's all about the role Vyatta plays in your environment, therefore
it might be no need for all those firewall instances.
Adrian

http://www.eset.com